|Emilie de Ravin|
Emilie de Ravin at the Emporio Armani New York Flagship Opening on September 7, 2012
|Born|| December 27, 1981 (age 30)|
Mount Eliza, Victoria, Australia
|Years active||1999 - present|
|Known for|| Lost|
The Hills Have Eyes
De Ravin was born in Mount Eliza, Victoria, Australia, an outer southeastern suburb of Melbourne. She has French ancestry, and de Ravin means of (the) ravine in French. Having studied ballet since the age of nine at Christa Cameron School of Ballet in Melbourne, and being home schooled by her mother, she was accepted into the Australian Ballet School at fifteen. There, she performed in productions with The Australian Ballet as well as Danceworld 301. Ravin studied acting at Australia's National Institute of Dramatic Art, and with the Prime Time Actors Studio in Los Angeles.
De Ravin's first major role was a recurring part as Curupira in the TV series Beastmaster. She went on to appear as alien/human hybrid Tess Harding in the teen television series, Roswell. She landed this role one month after moving to Los Angeles at the age of 18. In 2004, de Ravin was cast to portray Claire Littleton on the hit ABC drama Lost. In answer to if she expected the success of Lost, de Ravin said: "It's sort of hard to say. You read something and have a good feeling about it, it sounds great, ties nicely together and then shooting something, editing it, the music, the actors involved, everything sort of plays a huge part. Everyone involved had a great feeling towards it, but you never really know". De Ravin was a series regular for the first four seasons, but did not return as a series regular for the fifth season. She returned as a regular in the sixth and final season.
De Ravin was cast in the movie adaption of the video game Onimusha, but due to producer Samuel Hadida's other project The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, and star Heath Ledger's death, Hadida was forced to push back the release date of the film. Onimusha is postponed for an unknown amount of time and there is not any confirmation if de Ravin will continue the project.
De Ravin filmed Remember Me in the summer of 2009. The film received its wide release on 12 March 2010. In 2012 she guest-starred as Belle on the ABC drama Once Upon a Time. On June 19, 2012, she was promoted to a series regular on the show.
De Ravin stars in the Finnish film, Love and Other Troubles, directed by Samuli Valkama. The film tells the story of Ville (Jussi Nikkilä) and his father (Ville Virtanen), who both fall in love with the same woman, played by de Ravin.
De Ravin was to star as Anthony LaPaglia's daughter in the new drama series Americana in 2012, but ABC passed on the pilot.
On Once Upon a TimeEdit
On other titlesEdit
|2012 - present||Once Upon a Time||Belle||TV show: season 1: 3 episodes, season 2: main cast|
|2012||Americana||Francesca Soulter||TV show: main role (pilot not picked up)|
|2012||Love and Other Troubles||Sara||Movie|
|2004 - 2010||Lost||Claire Littleton||TV show: main role|
|2010||The Chameleon||Kathy Jansen||Movie|
|2010||Remember Me||Ally Craig||Movie|
|2009||Public Enemies||Barbara Patzke||Movie|
|2009||High Noon||Lt. Phoebe McNamara||TV movie|
|2009||The Perfect Game||Frankie Stevens||Movie|
|2008||Bal Don't Lie||Baby||Movie|
|2008||Lost: Via Domus||Claire Littleton (voice)||Video game|
|2006||The Hills Have Eyes||Brenda Carter||Movie|
|2005||Santa's Slay||Mary 'Mac' Mackenzie||Movie|
|2004||CSI: Miami||Venus Robinson||TV show: 1 episode|
|2003 - 2004||The Handler||Gina||TV show: 2 episodes|
|2003||NCIS||Nancy||TV show: 1 episode|
|2002||Carrie||Chris Hargensen||TV movie|
|2000 - 2002||Roswell||Tess Harding / Ava / Dixie||TV show: main role|
|1999 - 2000||BeastMaster||The Demon Curupira||TV show: main role|
- Has two older sisters.
- Emilie studied acting at the National Institute of Dramatic Art in Australia (NIDA), and with the Prime Time Actors Studio in Los Angeles.
- Emilie studied ballet since the age of 9 and at the age of 15, she was accepted into the highly selective Australian Ballet School. She performed in productions of the Australian Ballet Company as well as Danceworld 301.
- Has a dog named "Bella".
- Did a workshop at the prestigious Australian drama school, NIDA.
- Became engaged to actor Josh Janowicz on 1 January 2005 while they visited her family back in Australia for the holidays.
- In "Roswell" (1999) she played an alien who gets pregnant and leaves the earth before the pregnancy is visible. In "Lost" (2004) she plays girl who is near the end of her pregnancy. In Brick (2005) she plays a girl murdered in her third month of her pregnancy.
- Named #47 on the Maxim magazine Hot 100 of 2005 list.
- She is Australian and is of French and British heritage.
- Named #65 on Maxim magazines "Hot 100" list of 2006.
- Her paternal great-great-grandparents were French. They immigrated to Australia. "De Ravin" means "from (the) ravine" in French.
- Her wedding dress was designed by Monique Lhuillier.
- Has starred in two remakes, Carrie (2002) (TV) and The Hills Have Eyes (2006).
- Ranked #68 on the Maxim magazine Hot 100 of 2008 list.
- Has a mini beagle named Mabel.
- Close friends with former "Lost" co-star Maggie Grace and Dominic Monaghan.
- Enjoys gardening and hiking when she isn't working.
- Is allergic to peanuts.
- Her American accent in "Brick (2006)" was so fluent that many critics believed she was really American and that her natural Australian accent on "Lost" was fake.
The Emilie de Ravin gallery can be found here.